Laminated beech, bleached linen webbing. Replaced webbing.
Manufactured label dated 1938.
Designed by Bruno Mathsson in 1936, produced by Firma Karl Mathsson.
H 77 cm/30,3 in x W 51 cm/20,1 in x D 105 cm/41,3 in
One of the earliest commercial designs of Bruno Mathsson.
Hedqvist, Hedvig, Bruno Mathsson, Orosdi-Back, Stockholm, 2014, p. 50, 72
Information about the designer
Bruno Mathsson (1907-1988) is one of Swedens most internationally recognised designers. He made a breakthrough with his first exhibition held at Röhsska Konstslöjdmuseet in Gothenburg in 1936. He continued to gain attention at the Paris Expo the year later where he was discovered by the Museum of Modern Art in New York who ordered his furniture 1938. Mathssons work was also exhibited at the world’s fair in New York and the Golden Gate International Exposition in 1939.
As a modernist and with a interest in ergonomics, Mathsson was convinced that his designs would create a better and healthier life for people. From the mid 1940s and throughout the 1950s Mathsson focused on architecture. He created glasshouses with the ambition to live closer to nature and to dissolve the border between indoor and outdoor.